Sunday 28 August 2011

Optimist, Pessimist or Just a Realist

So where did you stand at half time yesterday??

After a home draw with Scunthorpe, who were at least as good as us and a home win over Championship side Reading and that was with our second string (allegedly!), the trip to Bury was a chance to extend our unbeaten run.

As you are aware, I'm absolutely useless at telling how we are playing, realistically.  At half time I felt that, although Bury were passing slightly better than us, neither team really had a worthwhile shot on target and things weren't too bad. The free kick, which reminded me of Derby at home a few season's ago, was their only shot and Mr Hamer was caught napping in the same way as Deano (a half time guest on the pitch) was.
We certainly weren't at our best but they weren't causing us any problems so things could only get better, I hoped.

Since I fall well and truly into the optimist camp, (it's how I have managed to follow Charlton for more years than I care to think about without going completely mad) my thoughts are usually not worth listening to!  The realist in me never ventures out, in fact I'm not sure he really exists.  At 6-1 down with about 15mins to go I still thought we had a chance of a draw at home to Leeds back in 2003!!
So as the second half kicked off, my main thought was the same as during that game against Derby "It is very ungentlemanly to take a free kick when the keeper is still arranging his wall and frankly you don't deserve to win if you do!!"

I think my God agrees with me, because on both occasions, Derby and now Bury, it came to pass that they got what they deserved, absolutely nothing!  It did get a bit bizarre at one point when we were given a free kick just outside the box.  Our lads thought they would do the same (tut tut!), Bury spotted it, we changed our minds, we thought about it again, Bury spotted it, we changed our minds again and then just kicked the ball into the wall.  Heaven knows what would have happened if we'd done the same to them, it doesn't bear thinking about.  On that point why doesn't anybody try something a little different?  Argentina v England anybody!

Anyway I digress a little, basically it was a game of two halves (he he!) and we were always going to win once they scored from that free kick!

I wasn't able to focus on any one player, in fact I'm finding it increasingly difficult to do so.  It takes far too much concentration and I start to get a headache!!  I don't think my brain was meant to work that hard and certainly not while I'm watching Charlton.  So suffice to say they all played a lot better in the second half and Bury didn't really cause us many problems, basically we were better than them!  That's as far as my in depth analysis of the game goes!

So whatever you are remember

Love is better than anger, hope is better than fear, optimism is better than despair.  So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic and we will change the world!!

No comments:

Post a Comment