Sunday 7 August 2011

Dale Stephens

Well was that a good game or a bad one?  I'm not really the right person to give a report on the game or even to comment on what we did well and what we did badly.  I sometimes wonder if I have watched the same game as other people so you won't be getting that from me this season, in my opinion Wyn Grant's blog provides the best report you can ask for so I'll leave that to him.  I thought this season I would try to concentrate on one player and see how he performs throughout the match.
Dale Stephens was the one player we added to our squad who I was most curious about, he was signed from Oldham potentially as a direct replacement for Therry Racon who lets face it, had flattered to deceive for quite a few seasons.  I really wanted to like Racon, he always looked like he could do the business for us but just never seemed to rise to the occasion, in every game he played I was willing him to stand up and be counted.
So when Stephens ran out wearing the number eight shirt I felt it was a real opportunity to see if this season things would be different.  I tell you what, that Chris Powell fella can find a player!
The man seemed to be everywhere, his goal was taken superbly and he certainly can pick a pass.  At one point in the first half Stephens was pressing the ball on our right side touchline, with the ball moved over to the Bournemouth right wing, I'm not sure how, he suddenly appeared almost from nowhere, won the ball and set up another attacking play.  Let us all be honest here, did you ever see that from Racon and more to the point when was the last time Racon scored at home?
He was our standout player yesterday and there were many good performances all over the pitch.  His tireless running, eye for a pass and ultimately his ability (albeit only seen in one game) to get on the end of a pass to score mean in that position the improvement over last year is 100%.
As for the game, with my totally biased hat on, it was great to watch, we will certainly improve and for the first time in a while I was pretty confident we would win from almost the first whistle.
So as I said I will leave it to others to discuss whether we were good or bad I'm just ecstatic with the win, I thought we looked good and that's all I could really ask for.  As messrs.  Hanson, Lawrenson and Shearer say "You can only beat what is put in front of you".
Next week will be a different story I am sure, away and at the League leaders (albeit joint), I'll be there to bring you a totally biased view through red coloured glasses.  Not sure yet who I will focus on, any ideas greatly received.

For now though my promotion prediction is feeling quite good.

Remember


If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

No comments:

Post a Comment